Saturday 24 May 2014

Testing Projection

I realised that recently I have been interested in perception of spaces, depicted on a plane: printed, reflected in a mirror or screened. I have made some experiments with projection to gain a similar effect, using one of the projectors provided. I have used the following schemes to explain creation and application of the device during Thursday presentation. 

Scheme 1

A scheme above explains how projection happens in my work. There is a custom made projector, provided by Clement Briend for a period of time with a slide is inserted into it. Lights passes through lens, slide and optics resulting in an image on a plane. There are particular specifics towards slide elaboration: to create the slide I used for projection, we screened a digital image of space and photographed it again with a help of film camera (positive film used). 

Scheme 2

I got interest in the process, during which space seen by an eye turns into digital image, then analogue images, then slide and, finally, projection. I have decided to keep viewing points used to photograph the image of space on different stages. For this I have created a device with a mirror, which allowed to change the projection direction from one used to create a film photo back to one used to make a digital photo of space. 

Scheme 3

This experiment allowed me to test forming new relations between the eye of the viewer and space, substituting real space with a virtual (imaginative) one. 

Device photograph

Me presenting work done during the workshop at Strelka

Device applied to projector used during presentation

Image projected during the event

I consider workshop itself, device elaboration and presentation as a valuable experience. I have made some tests with slides and I see more opportunities for application of this new knowledge. I believe it would be really interesting to explore layering and projection. By this I could work more with projected spatial images rather than printed, screened or reflected in a mirror. 

No comments:

Post a Comment