Wednesday 21 May 2014

Device for Projection Forwarding. Making and Testing.

While considering images I intend to project during presentation, which is to happen tomorrow at Strelka, I also decided to think of how I am to project them. For this I have found inspiration in the process of creating a slide. As my images are digital, they will have to be converted into analogue ones in order to develop slides, so the position, in which both photographs are to be taken, will differ.

Digital image

I have taken a digital photograph of space holding my camera vertically, while a screening of this digital photograph was taken while holding analogue camera with positive film horizontally. In my performance I have decided to preserve this sequence of how view of space turned into image and then into projection. For this purpose I have elaborated a device, which is to forward projection rays into a different direction.

Projector with a device #1 attached

Projection made using the device #1
The first prototype didn't forward the image in the right direction as the glass was not positioned at 45 degree angle due to some constructional issues: the device was rather 'hanging' on the lens rather than clutching into its surface due to lack of fraction between wood and plastic and weight of the mirror, making one side of construction heavier than other. This analysis resulted in creating another device, in which I made attempts to solve some of these issues by adjusting some details, adding new and adding rubber bands to stabilise joints.

Device #2

Device #2

Device #2 video
It seems I have solved most of issues, but there is still some work to be done: for now I have paper cards to apply tension and fix the joint between to elements. A video shows the projection with a stroboscope light on.

No comments:

Post a Comment